2.01.2013

Settling In


Nick and I say to each other at least once a day how much we love it hear. It may be overcast most of the time, and we may hardly see the sun, but it makes it that much more beautiful when the sun does decide to peak out from behind the clouds. We really couldn't be happier with our decision to move up here! We love Washington, we love Port Orchard, and we even love our new apartment. It isn't anything fancy, but it is everything we need, and the management in our complex really takes care of us.

This last weekend, some of our friends invited us to go razor clamming with them on the coast. Nick and I decided to get clamming licenses so that we could try it out too. The best time to find the clams is at low tide around 6:30, by which time it is pitch black outside. We showed up around 4:30 or 5, and we really weren't finding that many clams. You have to search for the clam's air holes in the sand, then dig like crazy or use a clam gun, which is like a cylinder you stick into the ground, then you pull it up and it suctions all the sand inside up with it. We really found nothing until about 6. So for a while, we just wandered around on the beach enjoying how beautiful it all was.




By 6 o'clock, we had all been caught by the tide at least once (three times for me, and all high enough that the flooded my wellies) and it was pouring rain. It really was a lot of fun, and we plan on trying out a lot of new things like this until we are experts! I even made clam chowder from the razor clams we caught (amazing!), and now I feel like I really am from the Pacific Northwest, even though I really am from the Pacific Northwest. :)

3 comments:

  1. I miss your guts. So glad you are enjoying it up there! Can't wait to come visit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are so cute! Way to go for trying something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! I've always been fond of the Pacific Northwest even though I haven't spent much time there.

    ReplyDelete