9.18.2011

Toilets and Cookies

Yesterday had some pretty extreme ups and downs.
I put some intense elbow grease into scrubbing the toilet. Honestly, I was cleaning the golden throne for like 45 minutes. It felt like my whole day. It. Was. Awful. (DOWN)
And I even cleaned the shower for the first time ever but don't tell Nick that.
Nick and I each got a new BYU t-shirt and sported them for the first time, so we felt pretty special. (UP)


Can't you see that I'm so pleased he is rooting for BYU?! We've finally moved past the trash talk onto bigger and better things.
And then our Cougs got their behinds severely whooped. But we don't want to talk about that. (DOWN)
We were consoled by a heaven-sent treat. That I made, just don't act surprised. (UP. UP. UP.)


These are Seattle Pink Cookies, some kind of Danish shortbread-ish cookie with almond frosting. My papa knew some guy who made these cookies when we lived in Seattle, and I remember always looking forward to my dad coming home with a big pastry box filled with these giants. I obviously made the baby version of these. Typically they are 4 types bigger. Unfortunately, the guy sold the recipe (or something, I don't know) and now they only sell them packaged, and they aren't so good when filled with preservatives.
Well, good news my friends. We found a recipe that is basically the same.
These cookies = happiness and joy.
If you've had these before, do yourself a favor and make them right now. If you haven't, then you haven't lived, so do yourself a favor and make them right now.

Here's the recipe for those who are salivating:

Shortbread
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
5 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cardamom
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (How the heck do you do a degree sign?!). Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in vanilla. Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl, then add gradually to creamed mixture. Roll dough into balls then flatten, or chill then roll out and cut into shapes. Bake for 10 minutes then cool on parchment paper.

Frosting
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2-4 Tbl. milk
1 tsp. almond extract
A few drops red food coloring
Powdered sugar

Combine, then beat it. Just beat it, beat it, beat it. 
(Are you singing Michael Jackson too?)

2 comments:

  1. Those cookies sound delicious and I must admit... I rarely clean the shower... I think it get's cleaned twice a day (sometimes more) when we take showers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm.. Why am I just noticing that you posted the recipe to these treats? Great. Next time you see me and I'm a huge round ball of fat... I'm blaming you.

    ReplyDelete